Thursday, October 30, 2008

Go Vote!

I interrupt the pictures and Drew updates to encourage everyone to vote!

Never before have I lived in a state where I thought my single vote actually matter. Well, this is no longer true. Here in the state of NC, the presidential race is extremely close. While I know that my single vote will not all by itself influence the outcome of the US election, I do feel that every vote here in the state of NC will effect which way NC goes in the election.

With 15 electoral votes up for grabs, the state of NC has gotten attention in this presidential race like never before. So, our little state has become part of the "toss-up" states like FL, OH, and MO. Also important to note, the last time that NC voted Democrat in the presidential election was 1976. And, being a Republican, I find it disconcerting that this Southern state is at the moment leaning Obama.

As I was standing in line today to early-vote, many memories were brought to mind. I thought of when I was 18 and went with my Dad to the courthouse to vote for my first time. I was so excited and nervous! But, from that time until today, I must admit, I've had a very lackadaisical attitude toward the election process. But, for me, that changed today. As I stood in line, surprisingly, I was over-whelmed with emotion. At that moment, I was proud to be a US citizen and honored to have the right to vote. As my Econ teacher in high school used to say "it is not a RIGHT, it is a DUTY".

So, I'll get off my rant about voting, but I was proud to given the opportunity to vote in this election. And, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until the winner is announced! It will be a long night at our house Nov 4th, since if you know my husband, he likes to stay up and watch the votes roll in. It's never over until it's over! I sat up with him as long as I could during the 2000 election, but noone can hang with this guy :).

No comments: