Monday, July 23, 2007

Bad Times - Appendectomy

So, I know this post is late (since this occurred back during the first of July), but I thought I'd post these pics anyway. For those of you who do not know, on Tim's trip back home from London this summer, he ended up having to stay over in New York for an appendectomy.

He started having stomach pains on the flight back from London to the JFK airport in New York. By the time he landed at JFK, the pain was quite severe. So, he called me, I got on the internet, and we realized the symptoms sounded like an appendicitis. So, thankfully, he did not get on the plane to Raleigh that evening. Instead, an ambulance came to JFK to take him to the Jamaica hospital in Jamaica, NY. I can attest to the fact that this was not the nicest of hospitals, but Tim did not have any say in where they took him. In fact, he didn't know where he was for a while, since no one would tell him which hospital he was in.

After a series of tests, a CAT scan, and emergency surgery, he was in recovery while I boarded a flight up there. My cab driver from the airport to the hospital was scared that I was in labor, so after assuring him that I was not due for a while longer, he calmed down. Tim was quite the sight when I made it to his room, and he was mostly out of it. After a night of sleeping on the chair in the hospital, we broke out of the shadiest hospital ever and headed home.

Tim is fully recovered now, and looking back, these pictures are pretty funny. The hospital gave him some funny little slippers, and Tim was suggested to get mobile the day after his surgery. So, here he is, doing laps around the hospital floor. He was willing to do whatever it took to get out of that place. It was quite the experience for sure.









No comments: